Re: [SLE] Should I sit this one out?
  • From: Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:56:05 +0200
On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 19:18 -0700, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
> As a loyal SuSE advocate/user since 5.1, and having
> purchased at least a half-dozen of every boxed set
> of every release since then, I'm looking at the
> dialog here for 10.1 and am wondering if I should sit
> this one out.

With every version of SUSE there's a whole bunch of people going "oh
this is the worst release ever <insert various arguments to explain>"

Our office runs SUSE on a number of desktops, and it's constantly
installed on development boxes for various purposes. No version of
SUSE (since I first used 6.1) have had any serious issues, and any major
show-stoppers have had prompt updates available.

I'm running 10.1 OSS on my notebook, with some unusual hardware, I might
add, and I'm completely happy with it. Yes, there are a few new things
that needs some extra polish, but nothing that would prevent me from
buying the box set. In fact, I have already placed my order.

Also, there is still the "dot zero release" fud going around. I don't
see why. SUSE 9.0 had no major changes over 8.2 - in fact, I think they
should have called it 8.3. 9.1, however, had a new kernel and
everything that goes with it. Similarly, 8.1 switch to GCC3. 8.0 was
incredibly sweet, 8.1 had a few issues with the GCC change - things not
working as expected etc. but that was the situation for all distros
moving to GCC3. 9.0, in my opinion was one of the sweetest releases. I
have had not as single proble on any of the machines I installed it on.
9.1 was the beginning of a new era, I didn't like it's desktop
performance, this was a "dot zero release" in my books (it was still
truckloads better than any fedore or mdk release I tried). 9.2 was
better, 9.3 was more better, 10, even with the move to GCC4, was, for
me, the pinnacle of the 9 series. 10.1, I see as the "dot zero release"
of this cycle, but even so, I have no issues with it.

Get it, try it, ignore what everyone tells you and see for yourself.

Hans