Re: packagemanagement in 10.1
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 02:28:50 -0700
The defence is that "linux is about choices." And yes, it is. But
those that are creating a distribution, have to make the choices. They
choose some mechanism for the distribution - and about 99% of users
use that!

Yes,there are many people that know other mechanisms could be used -
but many dare not even try. Why? Because nobody knows if it will break
the distribution or not. (Yes, I'm one of these...) It is totally
unclear what happens if one uses apt-get to update SUSE. Does the YaST
package management work correctly after that? Do the security updates
work anymore?

We have use SUSE Linux at work. After reading about the package
management problems of 10.1, we desided not to upgrade to 10.1.
Somebody wrote that the good releases were 9.1, 9.3 and 10.1 - I'd say
they are 9.1, 9.3 and 10.0.

HG

On 5/16/06, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 07:05:33, Kyek, Andreas, VF-DE wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about the packagemanagement in 10.1.
>
> AFAIK there is yast, smart and apt. smart shall be the
> successor of apt, which will (AFAIK) be supported last
> time with 10.1

and yum and y2pmsh and rug/zmd...

> What about smart? Is smart the upcoming tool in 10.x or
> is it yast (with this migrated software for software
> management where I read something somewhere about?)

There is no upcomming tool. Linux is about choice. Preconfigured
Packagemanager will "always" be YaST/libzypp.

> Can someone clarify that or tell me a link, where I can
> read something about that?

I started http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Management

maybe you can help and expand it with examples for apt4rpm?

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, Core Services
"Rules change. The Game remains the same."