Re: [opensuse] Categories and Browse openSUSE
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:02:43 -0500
jdd wrote:
Rajko M wrote:
jdd wrote:

Rajko M wrote:

"I don't want to make mistake"

simply do not delete old categories, only add new ones. they can be any number of categories in the same page

You read fast, but in this case not thorough, Jean :-)

I do. I didn't mean _you_ deleted categories, but you where giving advices to newcommers and I _add_ to your advices that nobody should care _adding_ categories his feels is good.

It should be automatic index too, kind of category of all categories.
If one wants to make the page with the same or similar content and to edit manually is nice, but think first about the resources.

well we didn't speak of the same page.

the mediawiki category page is quite difficult to read (no "pretty printing", only one column top to bottom...), so somebody created a page

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Browse

that I translated and try to enhance:

http://fr.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Browse

as did the german translator

http://de.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Browse

Given the number of categories in such a wiki, we need to use a category tree, starting from http://en.opensuse.org/Special:Uncategorizedcategories

like can be seen here (try the links)
http://fr.opensuse.org/Special:Uncategorizedcategories

but it's always possible to let this "organisation work" alone to most experienced users.

time going, most experienced users should aim to the wiki organisation

jdd

OK, Jean.
I thought that advice is for me, and I already declared that there is no such thing like permanent mistake :-)

I'm almost done with Uncategorized pages.
There are few that are protected, and I can't do much about it.
Somebody of en.opensuse.org sysops have to review Uncategorized pages and and finish the work. This is the list:

Apple/Gnome/Windows/KDE - Differences in GUI?
CodenameCompetitionVote
Jobs
Legal
LizardPictures
Sysreqs
Terms of Site
Usability/Apple/Gnome/Windows/KDE - Differences in GUI
What is a usability bug?
已�行的版本
开�版本
相关报�

The title of last 3 appear garbled when one load the page itself.

The goal was to put all pages in some category so that users that look for specific topic can find articles (if they come on idea to look in categories).

Next task would be to see how to get categories listed as tree with categories and subcategories. I have to see mediawiki website, but the rest of the day is the time for X server. I can't get Xinerama with 10.1 and world looks small without, like looking trough a keyhole ;-)
Xinerama seems to be a Xorg problem from 6.9 on.

--
Regards,
Rajko.