Re: [opensuse] alternative window managers
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 00:51:39 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Fri, 19 May 2006, J Sloan wrote:
Paul Kaplan wrote:
On Friday 19 May 2006 17:58, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2006, Paul Kaplan wrote:

How does one call an alternative window manager on SL10.1? (KDE runs
fine on the box.) According to yast I have icewm installed, but I can't
find any way to launch it. I also can't find an binary file anything
like "icewm".
startx icewm

That's what I thought, but when I do that I get the grey X background and an
xterm with no window manager running. The only thing that gives me a window
manager is startx which launches kde.

I'm not sure why Mr Moenkenberg put it the way he did, but the way to get an
icewm session is to select icewm from the session menu at the login screen and
log in.

... or just put

DEFAULT_WM="icewm"

in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager. It is not mentioned in the comments there, but it works.

Personally, I boot into runlevel 3 usually.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)

< Previous Next >