Re: [opensuse] Registration in 10.1
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:52:49 +0100

houghi wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:20:53PM +0100, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
>> But maybe Novell was already planning for the future and there is a good
>> reason for calling this process "registration"... ;-)
>
> So how would you call the process then where a system registers data, like
> the data that is collected by SUSE?
>
> I can help you out:
>>From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 [moby-thes]:
>
> 25 Moby Thesaurus words for "registration":
> booking, cataloging, chronicling, enlistment, enrollment, entering,
> entry, filing, impanelment, indexing, inscribing, inscription,
> insertion, inventorying, itemization, listing, logging,
> matriculation, posting, record keeping, recordation, recording,
> register, registry, tabulation
>
> I like "recordation" best because it sounds so much like 'New Speech'.
> What you are actually saying is "registration" always is the registration
> of people and will be used in a bad way.
>
> If that is the case, welcome to 1984, because it already is too late.

Most of the time it's not worth discussing anything with you because you
render each and every discussion useless. You've seen my emails and what
you quote there is one comment with a smilie. If you don't try to
understand the context of emails and if you focus on parts that are less
important, then you didn't get the point and in principle it's just not
even worth replying. The discussion has nothing to do with 1984 or
paranoia or something like that. If you're happy with the current
situation, well that's fine for you. You should, however, accept that
other people have a different opinion which might be (at least) as
noteworthy as yours.

The word "registration" is usually used for a certain process (very well
known from the Windows world). In SUSE 10.1, the same terminology is
used for another process which does something different. However, users
are sometimes not aware of this because they have a certain association
when reading the term "registration" (I've already explained all of that
in my last email, so I won't repeat it here) - therefore, some people
are suspicious and feel uneasy and unhappy with that process (scan the
archives of mailing lists over the last five days and you will recognize
it). According to your definition, we could just call every internet
connection a registration process because first of all I need to
register with my ISP. Sorry, Houghi, but I think that's nonsense - I
don't call that a registration process, I call it e.g. a "dial in"
process. That's what it is. When the process that is currently called
"registration" in SUSE 10.1 is mainly a replacement for the YOU setup
(download of mirror lists etc.), then it should be called "mirror
configuration" or something like that. I didn't carefully think about
this terminology now so I don't know whether it's a correct one, I don't
even know whether it's a better one, it just came to my mind... It's not
the first time we have seen some strange terminology being used. With
10.0, the DVD with 3rd party software was called an "evaluation"
version. Many people did get a wrong impression because of that name and
they were confused (again, this statement is easy to prove by scanning
mailing list archives). So if something similar happens again, I think
it's worth pointing out this problem. And that's what I did.

We can't change it (only Novell can do that) and Novell might have had a
good reason to call it registration. So be it!

Cheers,
Th.