Re: [opensuse] Registration in 10.1
  • From: "Erhard Sanio" <erhard.sanio@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 21:01:44 +0200 (MEST)

> Von: "Peter Flodin" <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx>

> I find it ironic that somebody who has such concerns about their
> privacy is sending an unusually large amount of contact information to
> a listserver run by the same company.

Peter,

My concerns do in no way mean that I am shy or paranoic.

I strongly hold and defend the opinion that the indispensible
counterpart of free speech is the free individual willing to
stand up and be responsible for any of his/her public actions
which means standing to the opinions expressed with name and
personality, not just shouting and runnig away. Words are a
weapon which is able to hurt, damage, even kill.

I deeply contempt those who abuse computer networks for anonymous
harrassment, slander, spam and similar (while some amount of
anonymity may be useful and defensible under a number of
circumstances).

I intentionally posted my full business signature therefore
(which btw. may be retrieved in the net anyway).

I left more data than contained in that signature to SuSE
quite often as I bought nearly every box since 4.3 or so
til 9.1 (often more for curiosity and in order to support
an Open Source enterprise than due to urgent need :)) and
registered for support four or five times as I recall.

I do not especially mistrust SuSE or Novell.

> That said, I totally agree with the concerns expressed in your email.

I welcome that. I wanted to express that even minimal coerced
registration is a strong obstacle for a number of persons.
I refused to install Star Office for years because they
demanded registration even when you had bought their
product.

Politely asking for registration or feedback is something
quite different. I updated the Linux Counter thoroughly
and veraciously for years (and still do) though or because
there isn't any pressure behind.

regards, es

--
no sig this time :)