Re: [opensuse] First impressions of SUSE 10.1
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:59:52 +0200
Am Freitag, 12. Mai 2006 19:47 schrieb Boyd Lynn Gerber:
> > On Friday 12 May 2006 16:39, JD. Brown wrote:
> > > I really,really,really like it alot myself! I'm still waiting on my
> > > backorder box set but, I had to download this one to check it out. I
> > > think the boot time is fine and no weird bugs so far on three
> > > computers.
> >
> > Everything but the package management is great, no question about it..
> >
> > But the package manager will cause people a lot of trouble I'm afraid and
> > will haunt this release.
> >
> > I personally recommend people to stick with 10.0. I also think Novell
> > should consider to communicate that 10.1 is sort of an interim release
> > that might cause some problems. I'm afraid a lot of people will be
> > disappointed and will never use SUSE again..
> >
> > But perhaps I'm the only one with zmd, parse-metadata, zen and yast
> > getting on my nerves.. slow, ressource hungry, error messages constantly
> > .. and generally weird behaviour.
> >
> > Some of it might have to do with packman and guru not being completely in
> > place - and the inst-sources being under heavy load.. but definitely not
> > all of it..
> >
> > Of course I understand the background of all this - and I very much so
> > have faith in the future..
>
> I agree 100%. I find this version of the packagemanger very problematic.
> I love all the other stuff. I am probably going to stay with 10.0 on most
> of my systems because of this.

In the early Beta's the package manager was a nightmare, but to be honest,
with RC1 and RC3 it ran pretty smoothly, the memory leak was solved, it
updated smoothly from factory overnight without a single error etc. I raised
over 20 bugs with the package manager during the various Beta stages and on
my last test run through, none of those errors were present.

The improvements in the last stages of the RC cycle were marked, I'll be
giving the final a go when the boxed set turns up on my test machine, but
I've picked up a couple of projects over the last few weeks, so won't really
have time to play and definitely won't be upgrading my production systems
until the projects are delivered - but that is more common sense than
anything against 10.1 itself...

--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing

< Previous Next >