Re: [opensuse] First impressions of SUSE 10.1
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:03:10 +0200
Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Nice! :D
>
> Lots of improvements. Numerous to list right now. But graphically
> harks of Fedora 5 in installer and startup screens. Must time the
> bootup though -- my friend was saying he could get a small nap while
> 10.0 boots.

For faster bootup:
* remove all those files from /etc/preload.d/ which you don't need.
This saved me about 8 seconds.
* remove the zen-* packages and those depending on it.
Saved me 2 seconds.
* disable NetworkManager and use "classic" network configuration.
Saved about 1 second.

For faster system operation:
* remove *beagle* packages and those depending on it.
It taxes your system much more than findutils-locate (which had
thankfully been removed from the default installation a few
releases ago).

If you pay for internet by the hour and/or use dial-on-demand or
if you have a fast name server:
* disable nscd in the runlevel editor.
nscd will query your name server for addresses you looked up
once a few hours ago, triggering a new dialup session every
few minutes. It will introduce delays in name resolution and
occassionally prevent anybody from logging in for a few minutes.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/