Re: [opensuse] HP nx6125
  • From: "Andre Truter" <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:10:05 +0200
On 5/1/06, Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 02:42 +0200, Andre Truter wrote:
> I have a nx6125 running SuSE 10.0 Prof at the moment (Started with 9.3)
> I have had very good experience with it under SuSE 10.0,
Wow! Ok, I may have a chance... Which model do you have? Mine is the
PY416EA - I wonder if there are differences between the different
models?

Same model (PY416EA) Mine has a #ABB after the number. Not sure if
it makes a difference.

> > 3. Wired (broadcom gigabit, tg3) network doesn't work at all.
>
> I have had no problems. Works perfectly on my machine.
It works, but it seems very tempramental. Today I was at a client who's
running a DHCP server on SLES9, and my notebook wouldn't pick up an
address. At home I have a netgear WGT624, and it picks up DHCP quite
easily, but then again at work (IP-COP box) it doesn't. If I give it a
static IP it works quite well though.

I have only one place where I have problems with getting a DHCP
address, but I never thought that it could be my network card, as it
works everywhere else.

I cannot remember if I had the same problem with my old laptop there.

> it.
Mine works too, it's just from time to time something seems to lock the
device, and skype's incoming sound just won't work reliably.

I don't have problems with locking of the sound device, and I have
only tried Skype voice once and I could not hear the other person. Sound breaks up. I blamed my network, but it might be the sound
system. I'll give it a go on my workstation.
You might have something here..

I was never too keen on all the ATI stuff in the mobo, but it was the
only laptop with the capabilities close to what I wanted available in
SA, so I did not have much of a choice.

But, for my needs it is fine. I don't use Skype much for voice as I
am generally on networks that is much too congested to allow that.
(due to our "wonderful" telecomms infrastructure here in SA....)

--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.co.za