large tar.gz job crashes - /tmp too small?
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:53:09 +0200
Hi everybody

In one directory I have approx. 11 GB uncompressed TIFF-files (~800 files). I
wanted so save them in a compressed archive using konqueror -> compress ->
compress as direcoryname.tar.gz. The job started and run for some minutes,
then a message appeared with something like "error while compressing file xy"
and the job aborted. A tar.gz files of 4 GB was written, containing many but
not all files of the directory I wanted to archive.

While checking my disk space I noticed that my 5 GB /tmp partition was filled
up to more than 90%. A copy of the 4 GB tar.gz file was in there, too.

Is the making of tar.gz-files limited to the size of the /tmp directory, are
there any other limits or is there an error in my system or way of making an
archive?

thanks for hints.

Daniel
special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com