Re: [SLE] Digital audio on linux
  • From: Lake-Wind <lake-wind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:02:51 -0500
John Pettigrew wrote:
> I'm sure, in previous SUSE versions, apps like Rosegarden were included, but
> this doesn't seem to be the case any more. I'm running 10.0 OSS - fair enough,
> lots of stuff is missing from this. However, checking out the package listing
> for Novell's release version shows Rosegarden absent (although Jack and JAMin
> are included).
>
> Can anyone tell me the best way to get audio sampling and mixing working under
> SUSE 10.0? I'm wanting to start recording some of my music.

I have Rosegarden installed on SuSE 10.0. Packman has it
available for SUSE 10. You may not have set up Packman as one
of your sources. My source is:

http://packman.sharewarestorage.com/archive/suse/10.0/

I do have a problem with Rosegarden though and because of that
I haven't used it yet. I keep getting this error message when
I launch it:

"System timer resolution is too low
Rosegarden was unable to find a high-resolution timing source
for MIDI performance.
This may mean you are using a Linux system with the kernel
timer resolution set too low. Please contact your Linux
distributor for more information."

I'm not sure what this is or how to resolve it.

<snip>

> I was also wondering whether it might be easier to use Studio-To-Go, which is
> a CD-based linux distro aimed specifically at being a home studio, with
> Ardour, Rosegarden et al. all included and set up. Has anyone any experience
> of this?

Thanks for the info on the Studio-To-Go distro. I think I
might give it a try.

Mike

< Previous Next >