Re: [SLE] Introduction and Question
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 09:11:23 -0800
On Saturday 01 April 2006 07:14 am, Donald R. Bedsole wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to SUSE. I was using the Fedora products, but decided to give
> SUSE a try. I am using 10.0 and look forward to the new version when it is
> released.
> Here is my question. I do not know very much about the GPL, LGPL and how
> these licenses work, and I'm sure this question will reflect it. I have
> the evaluation version installed, and I noticed that Amarok (which is GPL)
> is set up by default to use the Helix engine (also GPL?) and the RealPlayer
> codecs (proprietary). I'm sure this is not a violation because Novell
> would not ship it if it were. But why is this allowable? Maybe another
> way to ask this is, what is acceptable when it comes to distributing and
> installing proprietary software on Linux and what is not acceptable?

If the company allows free distribution - whether under GPL (like KDE), LGPL
(like Gnome?), or other licenses - then the company providing the
distribution can release it.

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.