Re: [SLE] strange boot problem after YOU
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:33:19 +0200
On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 13:20 +0200, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> - why does my "normal" SUSE 10 (same kernel, no separate /boot partition)
> boot without any poblem?
> - why did the new SUSE 10 boot easily before the YOU update?

When you install a package, where exactly it gets written on the
partition isn't predetermined. The YOU update included an updated grub
and/or kernel. It seems likely that before the update, they were placed
where the BIOS could read them, but after the update they got placed
elsewhere. If you have an old BIOS things like this can happen.

This is why you should have a separate /boot partition entirely located
within the 1024 cylinder limit, to prevent things like this from
happening. If you have a partition that extends beyond it, it may work
or it may not, it's up to the file system.

On the other hand, you may also want to check for an updated BIOS that
doesn't have this limitation