FTP dvd image, was Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: lerninlinux@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 04:25:02 +0000

> With those releases I could do a basic install via CD. If later I
> needed to add the yast packages I found of interest I had 100% success
> install the additional packages via yast and the official online
> source.
>
> With 10.0 I found this NOT to be true. I had several packages I
> wanted to install to CD only machines. Since the packages were only
> on the DVD, I tried the above sites you mention. The did NOT contain
> the packages I was looking for.
>
> I ended up buying an external DVD drive so I could move it around from
> machine to machine so I could have access to the full 10.0 retail
> package. I consider that a definite step backwords in the SUSE distro
> mechanism.
>
> FYI: I posted about this on this list several times. Typically I used
> the example of mt_st not being available on the sites you listed, but
> there were others.

> Greg Freemyer
> The Norcross Group
> Forensics for the 21st Century

Yours probably was a different thing, but I have a system that I built as just a network server (no cd/dvd) and was wondering about doing an ftp install. Couldn't I copy the dvd to a drive in my network, and ftp from the server to it, for an install? I'd like to, then move the image over to the new file server, so I don't have to pull out the disk.