Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:47:32 +0100
On 03/04/06, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that it will take more than just a name change - although it
> would definitely help - to keep SuSE's past glory going well into the
> future. The Novell management needs to pull its collective fingers out
> and stop fart-arsing around with the stable, professional distro that we
> all got to love. I have my serious doubts whether I will buy another
> copy of SuSE in the future.

Yes, I am in agreement with this sentiment. I have the strong feeling
that a lot of others think this way too.

> In the latest TUX magazine there is a comparison of several Linux
> distros and SuSE does NOT come up on top. The top choice is Mandriva,
> and SuSE is beaten by other distros (Mepis comes in 2nd and Fedora as 3rd).

I read this yesterday afternoon. It's interesting reading but I don't
agree with the overall result. It does seem to be skewed. What you
have to bear in mind is that it is not a proper comparison. All of
the distro's tested were done on different machines. This is not a
true and comparative test. If the testing was doen on the same
PC/laptop then I think the results would be different. However, each
tester did seem to be biased in that it appears that they tested their
own personal favourite distro. I may be incorrect about this last bit
but it certainly seems that way.
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay