Re: [SLE] Which Linux?
  • From: ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:05:52 -0400
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [04-03-06 08:28]:
>>Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>>>* Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [04-02-06 04:39]:
>>>more likely: the user does not understand the operation of his email
>>>client.
>>Right! Someone should explain to these noobs that replies shouldn't be
>>sent to whatever happens to be in the Reply-to field.

> Please, when replying to list posts unless specifically requested
> otherwise, reply *only* to the list, KEN.

But you did specifically request a reply to your address! Your address
was in the Reply-to field, after all. If you want people to reply to
some other address, why don't you simply put that address in your
Reply-to field? Isn't that what it's there for? That's what I've
always used it for.

Perhaps I could explain this. For example, if I'm changing to a new
email address, I can transition my addressees to my new email address by
putting it into the Reply-to field. Or, if I want a reply to go a some
other of my several email addresses, I can specify that into my Reply-to
field. If I want replies to go to a mailing list, then I can put the
list's email address into the Reply-to field. In short, the Reply-to
field is for explicitly specifying where you want replies to be sent.
That might seem somewhat complicated, but that's just how the protocol
works and I'm afraid we're all going to have to live with it. But I've
been doing it that way since about 1982 (so, yeah, I'm still a noob to
some folks) and nobody's complained so far... well, not until just
recently, and then just a couple folks. Maybe someday there'll be
another, separate mail protocol for exchanging mail the way you think is
"proper"... we could call it the PSMTP. :) Until then, we just have to
configure things to follow existing standards.

--
"This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
said the big noema to the little noema.

< Previous Next >