Re: [SLE] YOU breaks Xorg
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:10:07 -0400
On Monday 03 April 2006 17:54, Mike wrote:
> On Monday 03 April 2006 23:18, BandiPat wrote:
> > Clayton,
> > I'm not so sure this is a xorg problem. I've got a sinking feeling
> > it's something else that may be more difficult to track down. I've
> > been experimenting since last evening and have yet to get things
> > back to normal. ATI driver quit working, reinstalled kernel to go
> > back to the radeon driver there, after doing several other tests.
> > Still no go with direct rendering, although the logs show it
> > enabled. Checking with glxinfo shows it not on and using Mesa.
> > Also, glxgears is painfully slow.
>
> You made it too hard. The latest xorg-server update had a postin
> script that rewrote your xorg.conf and changed the fglrx to radeon.
> The good part is that it saves the original to another
> xorg.conf.xxxxxxx file Don't remember the name off-hand. Changed it
> to that one and the system is back to normal.
>
> Mike
=======

Thanks Mike, I wish it were that easy. I had already checked the
xorg.conf file as well as replaced it with a known good one. Plus, I
have reconfigured more than once to get a new xorg.conf file running
sax2. Checking those things have been part of the process I've been
through thus far. As I mention above, the logs show no errors, that
I've detected and dri as being enabled, but it's a different story when
KDE boots.

Maybe your suggestion will help someone else though.

regards,
Lee