Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: "Kai Ponte" <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:23:50 -0700
Mandriva,
Fedora as 3rd).

> > > Anytime Mandriva comes out at the top of the list in a distro
shoot-out, it makes the entire results of a product comparison suspect.
Granted, certain community pundits (LinuxFormat & Tux) like Mandriva
but the quality of the distribution is no longer the cutting edge distro
that it was a year or so back,

> > As you probably know, Mandriva is no longer the old Mandrake but is now
> > a combination of Mandrake, Conectiva and Lycoris.
> >
> > > according to reports, Mandriva is hemoraging money, showed its
founder to the door, and unless Mandriva team gets it act together, it
most like will suffer an untimely demise.

> > Ah, so Mandriva is going and doing a "SuSE" then :-)? SuSE's old and
> > intelligent brigade has been deserting also - or haven't you heard about
> > that? - and Novell is also going down the financial gurgler. When they
> > discovered (?)last year that SuSE actually made some money for them they
> > were flabbergasted - which just goes to show how well they did their
> > homework when they decided to buy SuSE.
>
> I would like to point out that, though I doubt the conditions that
> testing was performed under in the Tux Magazine round up, I actually
> like the latest two versions of Mandriva. Prior to these it was
> absolutely awful. Now it is very good, very useable and I would not
> hesitate recommending it to anybody. I would point them to SuSE as
> being better :-)

Interesting to note. I actually switched from Mandrake to SuSE because
of my perception of them as going down in quality. I had run Mandrake 6
on my laptop and 8 on a test machine. When 10.0 came out I tried to use
it but it wouldn't detect my hardware. Popping SuSE 9.1 in did the
trick. I've been a SuSE/SUSE fan ever since.

Besides, YOU is so much easier than urpmi. (Unless they now have some
similar GUI tool which I don't know of.)

> Now, how do I also become a certified Cleavage Inspector :-))) is
> this dependent upon one's height?

Yeah, where do I sign up??

--
kai ponte

linux - genuine windows replacement part

< Previous Next >