Re: [SLE] Siig / initio inic1620 sata controller driver?
  • From: Brad Dameron <brad@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:25:14 -0700
On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 22:29 +0200, Sandy Drobic wrote:
> > i originally stated that I have no idea how easy or difficult writing
> > a driver is - therefore, for all I know/knew, it's pretty simple, and
> > I may have been mistaken by *assuming* it was beyond me.
> >
> > Now, having said that, I also stated that I was pretty sure it was a
> > ridiculous notion; I was just trying to confirm that.
> >
> > Seems to me I've got things pretty straight - I just wanted to verify
> > what I believed to be the case before acting on it.
> >
> > And if the job was realistically 'doable', even if it wasn't trivial,
> > I'd be happy to challenge myself and learn something new in the
> > process. Obviously there are folks in the community that *DO* write
> > drivers for unsupported hardware, so it's clearly possible. Most
> > likely I myself haven't got the skills, admittedly.
>
> Writing a driver is slow and frustrating work even if you do have solid
> programming knowledge ond additionally expert knowledge of the protocols
> involved.
> Writing a driver without having all the specs of the hardware is extremely
> difficult.

Also note that if the driver was that easy the hardware company probably
would have one. Writing a driver would probably take you minimally 20
man hours. At even $15/hour that is as much as you could buy a nice
3ware or some other supported SATA controller and even have hardware
raid.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software