Re: [SLE] [OT] Another good windows glitch - like we needed another one.
  • From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:10:19 -0700
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 07:35 -0400, Michael W Cocke wrote:
> I'm trying to laugh about this because the alternative will be to kick
> my computer off the roof.
>
> I need to run XP occasionally so I have a dual-boot config. This
> morning I tried to boot Win XP and was told 'windows needs to be
> activated' - and it wouldn't log me in. I did that last year and I
> haven't changed anything, but what the hell - I have a legal copy, so
> I clicked yes. Then it said 'this copy of windows is already
> activated' and logged me off... rebooted - and the same thing. It
> won't let me log in and it won't activate. I have to reinstall from
> scratch AGAIN! What a design. <sigh>
>
> Mike-
> --
> If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
> --
> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces,
> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,

If you are connected to the internet, it might be there is another
machine that is using the same serial that you are. For example, if you
install XP on one machine, then using the same disk and install on
another machine, the first machine that is logged on to the internet
will get the registration, any other machine where XP was installed with
the same disk would refuse to operate. They don't even have to be on the
internet, if they are on the same network it can happen. We had this
problem at a former company I was at.

Isn't that nice of Microsoft?

Art