new SUSE 10 install - Linux RAID - kernel panic - only starts in failsafe
  • From: "Steve Jacobs" <stevetjacobs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:18:19 -0400
I've just set up an OpenSUSE 10 system.

At boot, the system experiences a Kernel Panic and halts prior to completely
booting up. The last few lines displayed before things hang are:

md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3.
Waiting for device /dev/md0 to appear: ok
No record for 'md0' in database
Attempting manual resume
Kernel panic - not syncing: I/O error reading memory image.

(Starting in failsafe mode appears to work perfectly well - what is
differnet about failsafe? What do I lose in failsafe mode?)

I've got a matched pair of Seagate SATA 160G drives, connected to an Adaptec
'SATACONNECT' PCI SATA controller card (model 1205SA).

During the install, I chose to mirror the drives using the 'built-in'
software RAID. I've never done software RAID before, and may have caused the
problem here. I initially thought I'd mirror the two drives, and then format
& partition the volume. When I tried to create the RAID volume, though, the
install program complained that there were no available partitions to add to
the RAID volume.

So I backed up a step, and using the partitioning tool in the install
program, I created identical 1Gig partitions on each drive for swap,
identical 20G partitions for '/', and identical partitions to the end of the
drive for '/home'.

Using the RAID button I created a RAID1 volume of each 'partition-pair',
formatting the 1G as swap, and the other 2 partitions as Reiserfs.

I believe/suspect that md0 is the swap partition.

What did I do incorrectly, and how may I repair this? While it would be a
huge time sink if I have to reformat and start over, there's no data on the
system yet, so it wouldn't be any problem, and I'd rather do it now than
later, if it will need to be done at all.

Thanks,
Steve