RE: [SLE] Creating manual bootloader entries in YaST
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:14:22 -0500
On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 @ 10:59 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

>On 06/04/05 23:10 (GMT-0400) Shriramana Sharma apparently typed:

>> I've installed Fedora 5 and ZenWalk 2.4 alongside my default-boot SUSE
10.0
>> for testing purposes. I did not want to disturb my SUSE GRUB so I told
>> Fedora's and ZenWalk's installers not to install any boot-loader. Now I
am
>> unable to boot into them without a boot-loader entry in
/boot/grub/menu.lst

>Naturally. Not installing any boot loader at all makes no sense
>whatsoever. You should always install a distro's native boot loader
>somewhere. With multiboot, additional distros should always have their
>boot loaders installed to their /, or, if you use one, their /boot. This
>gives you the flexibility to later switch any you choose to the mbr if
>you wish, or to use any boot loader you choose, no matter the type or
>source. When you install to the / or /boot, you know exactly the
>required grub or lilo entries that OS installer felt appropriate for the
>distro, and they can easily be copied to any of the boot loader config
>files for any of the other distros you have installed.

In my previous post, I had assumed that the boot loader information was
installed in the os but not written to the mbr. If no boot loader was
installed at all, you might be better off re-installing those new os's and
letting them install their boot loaders. You can always get SuSE back by
booting from the SuSE DVD and then re-writing the MBR once you're in there.

Greg Wallace