Re: [SLE] connect to cellphone
  • From: Richard <rick47@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 21:32:00 -0700
On Fri March 24 2006 10:04 am, Per Jessen wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Just did that and nothing more useful than before. Does there have to
> > be a driver or file for the specific phone either in the kernel or
> > somewhere in the distro? I assume the answer to that would be, "Well
> > duh, yeah," that devices must be recognized rather than created on the
> > fly.
>
> Not quite "duh, yeah" - sometimes devices don't need specific drivers,
> but can be supported by drivers that support the _type_ of device.
>
> > I do notice that there is no sync program of any kind nor any mention
> > of it in the phone manual so perhaps, even though the OS of the phone
> > is linux-based, it is not intended for access.
> > It has programs like a calendar and so on, but makes no mention of
> > sync-ing with a desktop for either backup or file copy or just
> > ease of entering info into either and sync-ing with both.
>
> Though the fact that it has a USB interface would seem to suggest
> something like that.
>
> > I am taking "registered" here to mean recognize or see, rather than
> > create a major and minor number and assign a device name for access,
> > since those are not part of the log.
>
> Correct - it basically means the device is working on the USB bus.
>
> > Thanks for your continued interest and suggestions.
>
> My pleasure - these cases are always good fun. Bit of a challenge to
> take ones mind of things and such. I'm off to go check out the
> usb-storage driver.

I found something: had to configure the phone from USB as modem device to USB
as storage, to access the micro-SD card. This seemed to work (and will
probably allow me to access a card when I get one and install it) and
identified the card as scsi removable device sde. Also found a generic
device sg4. How do I try to access this device? Mounting does not work as
it is not a block device. I have a feeling this is simple because I used to
have to access a scsi scanner as a sg-generic device.

Richard