Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: "Gaël Lams" <lamsgael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:21:37 +0200
> That's pretty much what I said. People seem tot hink they need another distro
> to learn something. I'm happy to hear at least someone else out there
> understands.

actually I discovered linux with a slackware 6/7 years ago (it was
version 7 or 8, cd given to me by a friend, really formative
experience, but, hum, difficult for a newbie like I was) then I move
to redhat and since 5 years I use SuSe Professional on all my servers
(9.0 and now 9.3) and most of what I learned has been on SuSe,
including the use of vi, bash scripts, compilation from source,
configuration of so many services (from proftp to openldap, qmail,
.......).

I still learn every day. I try from time to time other distributions,
but well, for the time being never had to do something that I wasn't
able to do in SuSe. Some glitches sometimes, but never really
importants and the only distribution that would be like I want would
be a distribution that I would build myself, maybe when I retired in
30 years :-)

Kind regards,

Gaël

> OT:
>
> How do you pronounce your name? It seems German and if I'm correct it would
> sound like "Gah - ayle" in English.. I think lol. I'm terrible with Umlauts
> unless it's the U.

It's a celtic name (I think it means foreigner, or something like
that). In french we would pronounce it "ga - el"