Media mount failure on adding DVD source of installation?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:09:44 +0200
Hi all,

Recently I posted a question about a compatible DVD RW. I was able to get a LiteOn drive and had it inserted into the box. On next under-privileged user login the drive was detected automatically and added into the /etc/fstab file.

I have had an ongoing problem with kppp
(http://devel-home.kde.org/~kppp/index.html)
and my external modem, and kinternet just doesn't do it for me. I decided to update the 9.2 kppp with the one on the Linux Magazine SuSE 10 DVD I had received in the hope that it might solve some or all of my kppp problems.

Into Yast to change the source of installation:->Add->DVD. This failed though with the message box that it was unable to locate the installation source (Media mount failure). I clicked Yes to try again with the same result.

The box has two optical devices on the same IDE cable:
A CD-Rom which I initially installed from marked as Secondary slave and this new DVD-RW marked as Secondary Master.

The fstab entry is:
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

What is causing me to be unable to read from this DVD-RW as the fstab entry for the CD-ROM is exactly the same(after the mount point entry, and I can use that one?

Hylton Conacher - Linux user # 229959 at http://counter.li.org
Currently using SuSE 9.2 Professional with KDE

  • No further messages