Re: [SLE] [OT] Another good windows glitch - like we needed another one.
  • From: Michael W Cocke <cocke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:34:40 -0400
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:29:58 -0700, you wrote:

>On Wednesday 05 April 2006 04:35 am, Michael W Cocke wrote:
>> I'm trying to laugh about this because the alternative will be to kick
>> my computer off the roof.
>>
>> I need to run XP occasionally so I have a dual-boot config. This
>> morning I tried to boot Win XP and was told 'windows needs to be
>> activated' - and it wouldn't log me in. I did that last year and I
>> haven't changed anything, but what the hell - I have a legal copy, so
>> I clicked yes. Then it said 'this copy of windows is already
>> activated' and logged me off... rebooted - and the same thing. It
>> won't let me log in and it won't activate. I have to reinstall from
>> scratch AGAIN! What a design. <sigh>
>
>Well, hopefully you haven't reinstalled.
>
>The activation key is related to hardware settings, which may have changed.
>Stupid, yes, but not insurmountable.
>
>You have two alternatives. First you should be able to call your friendly
>neighborhood Microsoft support center and explain the situation. They should
>get you a new activation code.
>
>Second, there are plenty of cracks out in the wild, which will perform the
>activation for you. LimeWire works perfectly on Linux and should get you what
>you need.
>
>Um, at least I've heard from reliable sources that it does and those same
>sources suggest that these cracks might be easy to locate...
>--
>kai - www.perfectreign.com
>www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community
>
>43...for those who require slightly more than
>the answer to life, the universe and everything.

I thought of both of those options - but I couldn't get the idiot
windows to let me enter a code or do anything. If I could have gotten
it to do anything I would have, but as it is - reinstalled already

And someone suggested I burn an image (I forget who) - I do backup
(Acronis Image) the problem is,I have no bleeping idea when whatever
the problem is snuck in - I might wind up restoring the problem....

Mike-

--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.