Re: [SLE] new SUSE 10 install - Linux RAID - kernel panic - only starts in failsafe
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 23:10:11 +0200
Wed, 05 Apr 2006, by stevetjacobs@xxxxxxxxx:

> I've just set up an OpenSUSE 10 system.
>
> At boot, the system experiences a Kernel Panic and halts prior to completely
> booting up. The last few lines displayed before things hang are:

[..]
> Using the RAID button I created a RAID1 volume of each 'partition-pair',
> formatting the 1G as swap, and the other 2 partitions as Reiserfs.
>
> I believe/suspect that md0 is the swap partition.
>
> What did I do incorrectly, and how may I repair this? While it would be a
> huge time sink if I have to reformat and start over, there's no data on the
> system yet, so it wouldn't be any problem, and I'd rather do it now than
> later, if it will need to be done at all.

Don't put swap on a RAID. It'll kill performance and won't do
anything for data-security anyway. Just select both 1G partitions
for use as swap, Linux will then use both swaps round-robin.
The procedure for software RAID is easy; make partitions, designate
type FD (Linux raid auto) to the RAID partitons, make RAID drives,
make filesystems, install.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131