Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:27:00 -0800
On Thursday 06 April 2006 8:19 pm, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx> [04-06-06 22:46]:
> > On both boxes, I tend to use either kate or mcedit to edit these
> > files. I just edited one on my home box (the one that works) using
> > mcedit, cron detected the change and did a RELOAD of the changed
> > file within a minute, here's the log entry
> >
> > Apr 6 19:45:01 helphand /usr/sbin/cron[7027]: (*system*) RELOAD
> > (/etc/cron.d/seccheck)
>
> try using: crontab -e

Humm, don't think so. crontab -e is for editing user crontabs, the
files in /etc/cron.d are not user crontabs. In fact, if I login root
and issue crontab -e, what I see is root's crontab from
/var/spool/cron/tabs/

The cron files in /etc/cron.d, /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.hourly,
/etc/cron.weekly, and /etc/cron.monthly are not meant to be
edited with crontab -e as I understand it.

Scott

--
Si vis amari, ama
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/