Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files
  • From: Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:33:29 -0700
I'm seeing the same kind of thing on a boxed 10.0 X86
system. Running crontab, which touches the files
in /var/spool/cron, doesn't trigger a cron daemon
reload. It does work on 10.0 AMD-64 boxes, however.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang

Scott Leighton wrote:
I'm running SUSE 9.3 on two machines, a 64 bit installation at home
and a 32 bit installation at work. Both machines are up to date with
all YOU updates and are configured similarly.

The work machine doesn't seem to be recognizing changes made to
cron files in /etc/cron.d, that is, a RELOAD of the changed file never
happens and doesn't show in the log. I basically have to rccron restart
to get the cron daemon to use the new file.

The home machine does recognize changes, a RELOAD will take place
within a minute or so after saving the changed file back to /etc/cron.d

I've checked ownership (root) and permissions (600) on both boxes,
they are the same, so I'm looking for ideas on where to look next
to figure out what is causing the work machine to not see the
changes made to /etc/cron.d files.

Any ideas will be appreciated, I'm pretty much stumped right now.

Scott