Re: [SLE] [OT] Another good windows glitch - like we needed another one.
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:58:40 -0400
Chris Jones wrote:
> Is it impossible to write Spyware, Viruses, Malicious Software for
> Linux? Or is just that Microsoft is the favorite target?
>
> I keep my Windows firewall and anit-virus, anti-spyware programs up to
> date (all free ware) and I haven't had any problems.

Due to fundemental design and also usage habits, Windows is far more
vulnerable. While it's not impossible to write a virus etc., for Linux,
it's difficult for it to propogate. As for but one example of many as
to why Windows is more vulnerable, you should look at the MS response to
Netscape and the anti trust trial. Initially, IE was a separate app,
that could be installed on Windows. Then to discourage people from
installing Netscape, they started bundling it with every copy of
Windows. At the trial, they claimed it couldn't be removed easily,
because it was part of the OS and they then made sure it was. They then
started including IE function in OS code files, so that removing IE
would break the OS. This also had the side effect of giving malware
free reign over the system. There is no technical justification for
what MS had done and it's in fact the opposite of what good software
engineering dictates. Also Windows was originally a non networked,
single user system, without much security, as it wasn't needed. When
security was needed for the internet etc., it was added on. On the
otherhand, Linux was built from the ground up, with networking and
multiuser use in mind and included the necessary protection. Also, look
at how many Windows users run as administrator. This also means that a
virus has full run of the system. There are many more reasons.

< Previous Next >