Re: [SLE] Proof of concept on Multi Platform Virus
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:56:52 -0400
into electronic streams flowing thru the cosmos On Saturday 08 April
2006 10:44 am, Per Jessen wrote:
> Rikard Johnels wrote:
> > Not all Linux users run a secured system, and not all run it under
> > a normal user. I have seen way to many root's running out there...
> > So the "How many executable files on a Linux system can a regular
> > user overwrite? Nothing important." is only true on a secured
> > system with a secure-minded administrator.
> > How many DOESNT run a secured system, and run everything as root?
>
> Just out of curiosity, how do you define "secured"?
<snip>

Well for a really secured computer, It would have to be in a vault, like
a bank vault, perhaps somewhere like fort Knox, or Cheyene Mountain.
And under no circumstances would it be connected to the internet nor,
could it have a floppy , CD or DVD drive and probably it would be well
to yank the lan card out of it once it was all setup. ( something like
a thin client w/o the access that can provide. That said, it wouldn't
be the most practical computer to use.

I suppose the one thing I left out would be the human attempting to use
it. You could put barbed ( razor) wire around it and lock it away
somewhere, but if a human comes near it.. you *might* be headed for
trouble. ;-D

Failing that, there are the locked down systems where people aren't
allowed to willy nilly add software, use the company bandwidth to
connect to their home computers , etc. I know lots of folks use web
cams and whatever to keep track of what is happening w/ family at
home . I'm not certain that is a good use of company resources. It
certainly would have to be worked out and legal would have to make
certain how things were worded in the company manuals.

If, as happens in some fields , a person actually works at home and uses
the same materials at work, there must be a way to make that tight
enough to keep the company from winding up in court on either end of a
break in.

Doesn't sound like a fun place to work .. but very BOFH, no?

My $.02

"When You Earnestly Believe You Can Compensate For A Lack Of Skill By
Doubling Your Efforts, There's No End To What You Can't Do."