Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files [SOLVED]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 01:24:17 +0200 (CEST)

The Friday 2006-04-07 at 19:52 -0800, Scott Leighton wrote:

> > Scott Leighton wrote:
> >
> > cron monitors directory timestamp of /etc/cron.d and /var/spool/cron/tabs
> > and the file timestamp of /etc/crontab. This is explained in the man page
> > of cron, in the 3rd paragraph.
>
> Empirical evidence says the man page is incomplete. The timestamps
> of the /etc/cron.{d,daily,hourly,monthly} directories are most certainly
> monitored on the systems I have here. If the directory timestamp is

No, /etc/cron.d is monitored by cron, but /etc/cron.{daily,hourly,monthly}
are not. Those are not monitored, nor cached; they are simply loaded or
called when the time arrives for execution, by another script that is run
by cron. There is no need to monitor a file that is not in crontab syntax
nor contain timing information.

To check this, I copied nimrodel:/etc/cron.daily/tetex to tetex2. No
reload messages.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson