Re: [SLE] cron not recognizing changes to /etc/cron.d files [SOLVED]
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:14:56 -0800
On Sunday 09 April 2006 12:58 pm, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Scott Leighton wrote:
> > On Friday 07 April 2006 3:29 am, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> >> Scott Leighton wrote:
> >>
> >> cron monitors directory timestamp of /etc/cron.d and
> >> /var/spool/cron/tabs and the file timestamp of /etc/crontab. This is
> >> explained in the man page of cron, in the 3rd paragraph.
> >
> > Empirical evidence says the man page is incomplete.
>
> No, it is complete, as mentioned by Carlos.
>
> One addition to what he said, for the sake of searches in the archives:
> >> cron does not monitor /etc/cron.{daily,hourly,monthly}. These scripts
> >> are executed by /usr/lib/cron/run-crons which is called in /etc/crontab
> >> every 15 minutes.

Correct, the man page doesn't reference checking the modtime
on /etc/cron.d, which is monitored and it rightfully doesn't mention
/etc/cron.{daily,hourly,weekly,monthly}, which are not monitored.

We agree, Carlos set me straight on the different treatment, I
was focused on /etc/cron.d where I was having the problem.

Scott

--
Risu inepto res ineptior nulla est
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/