Re: [SLE] Re: No SATA HD detected when installing SuSE 10.1 beta 9 x86_64
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:20:09 -0400
On 4/9/06, Buddy Coffey <bcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Adinda Praditya wrote:
> > Can anyone please give a comment to my problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Adinda P
> >
> > On 4/7/06, Adinda Praditya <apraditya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I tried to install SuSE 10.1 beta 9 x86_64. When probing the system
> >> (as usual), the installation system didn't detect my SATA Harddisk. Is
> >> this a common problem for beta release? Is there any solution? Does
> >> SuSE 10 x86_64 work fine with SATA?
> >>
> >> FYI, I use ASUS P5P800-MX motherboard.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Adinda P
> >>

> I had to use the irqpoll kernel parameter for SuSE 10 to recognize my
> SATA drives with either X86 or X86_64 versions.
>
> Buddy Coffey
> Advanced Electromagnetics

SATA with 64-bit cpu/controllers is not something I would trust very
much yet with the vanilla Linux kernel. Maybe SUSE (novell) has
applied some fixes that are not in the vanilla kernel.

If this is not pure test machine, I would spend some time ensuring the
controller, etc. is trully supported for production use.

You can search the vanilla kernel sata mailing list to see if you can
find anything relevant to your controller.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&r=1&w=2

There was just a post a few days ago to add support for the sata_sil
controller with 64-bits and that is a pretty common controller.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=114439799016751&w=2

I don't think the sata maintainer has accepted the above because it
has only been compiled tested.

Even if the maintainer accepts it, the normal flow of kernel
development won't get the above in until 2.6.18 that should be
released by Linus in 3/4/5 months. Hopefully that will end up in SUSE
10.2

If SUSE picks it up as one of their patches, obviously it could end up in 10.1.

Good Luck
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer