Re: [SLE] OT: Posting from another unsubscribed address for a subscriber?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:42:15 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2006-04-10 at 17:01 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> If I receive list mail on the hylton@conacher address, I cannot reply to it
> from the conacher address bucause my ISP will not route the mail as they
> autheniticate the sender ie the sender hylton@conacher is not the email
> address of the connected member on their network and they therefore drop the
> mail into the ether.
>
> Is there a way I can send email to the list that is identified by the ISP as
> being from the correct paying account and delivered to the SuSE listserver as
> being from another email address, in this case a suscribed address.

I don't know what you use to send your email.

But, for example, if you use an email client like Mozilla - I know you do
- - you can send the email corresponding to each account through the smtp
server of that account. You shouldn't then have any problem.

Other alternative would be that your ISP authenticated you and allowed you
to send email with any from address you choose, regardless of which. That,
which should be normal, is not in some countries and isps. I have suffered
that situation too.

The other alternative, the one I use, is to use your local smtp server
(postfix) to send your email direct. This is frown upon by a number of
administrators that are lucky enough to have good providers and these
problems are remote and unknown to them - so much frown upon that they
use lists to block emails sent direct from dynamic addresses. {Yeah, I
know the reasons they have, but I can not agree}

I heard that postfix supports now choosing the relay based on the from
address, but I haven't learnt how yet.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson