Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. How to retrieve ISP settings from a dead win98
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:38:30 +0100
On 11/04/06, Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello list!
> > Maybe someone here can help me.
> > I have a friend who is a computer illiterate (More or less)
> > And he's old Win98 crashed due to a bad disk.
> > I managed to dd_rescue most of it, but of course its not bootable.
> > Now, as my evil plan is to make a convert of the poor guy, i have installed
> > Linux on his machine :)
> >
> > But the difficult thing is: He doesnt know his ISPsetup.
> > It seems he doesnt even know WHAT provider he has....
> > No papers no nothing in place to look for clues.
> >
> > So my question is: How the *bad words* can i retrieve the ISP settings from
> > the dead Win98 setup?
> >
> > --
> > /Rikard
> >

> At least he has to pay somebody, don't he?
>
> Anyway, take a look at this:
> <http://lastbit.com/vitas/pwlview.asp>
>
> looks like what you want.
>
> Also, I can not remember, but the dial-in info (like phone no) was in
> some .lnk files.
>
> --

You could also check his old phone bill. I assume you have the
numbers listed where you live? If not, surely the phone company would
be able to supply the numbers called.
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay