Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. How to retrieve ISP settings from a dead win98
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:08:22 +0100
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 23:38, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 11/04/06, Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 4/11/06, Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hello list!
> > > Maybe someone here can help me.
> > > I have a friend who is a computer illiterate (More or less)
> > > And he's old Win98 crashed due to a bad disk.
> > > I managed to dd_rescue most of it, but of course its not bootable.
> > > Now, as my evil plan is to make a convert of the poor guy, i have
> > > installed Linux on his machine :)
> > >
> > > But the difficult thing is: He doesnt know his ISPsetup.
> > > It seems he doesnt even know WHAT provider he has....
> > > No papers no nothing in place to look for clues.
> > >
> > > So my question is: How the *bad words* can i retrieve the ISP settings
> > > from the dead Win98 setup?
> > >
> > > --
> > > /Rikard
> >
> > At least he has to pay somebody, don't he?
> >
> > Anyway, take a look at this:
> > <http://lastbit.com/vitas/pwlview.asp>
> >
> > looks like what you want.
> >
> > Also, I can not remember, but the dial-in info (like phone no) was in
> > some .lnk files.
> >
> > --
>
> You could also check his old phone bill. I assume you have the
> numbers listed where you live? If not, surely the phone company would
> be able to supply the numbers called.
> --
> I am only human, please forgive me if I make a mistake it is not
> deliberate. ==============================================
> Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
> the next one that way.
>
> Kevan Farmer
>
> Linux user #373362
>
> Cheslyn Hay
> Staffordshire
> WS6 7HR
>
> --

Specified bill is a "addon" here.
And he didn't "add".. :)
And the phone company is NOT too keen on revealing the numbers.
Go figure...
Its a "free number" modempool. Charged as ordinary phone calls. (By the
minute).

I thought of telling him to call the ISP and ask them, if he only could
remember which one he used :D

Seems like a best shot is to get him a new ISP....

--
         /Rikard

email   : rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx
web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
mob: : +46 (0)763 19 76 25
< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >