Re: [SLE] Slightly OT. How to retrieve ISP settings from a dead win98
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:23:25 -0400

>On 4/11/06, Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello list!
>> Maybe someone here can help me.
>> I have a friend who is a computer illiterate (More or less)
>> And he's old Win98 crashed due to a bad disk.
>> I managed to dd_rescue most of it, but of course its not bootable.
>> Now, as my evil plan is to make a convert of the poor guy, i have installed
>> Linux on his machine :)
>>
>> But the difficult thing is: He doesnt know his ISPsetup.
>> It seems he doesnt even know WHAT provider he has....
>> No papers no nothing in place to look for clues.
>>
>> So my question is: How the *bad words* can i retrieve the ISP settings from
>> the dead Win98 setup?
>>
>> --
>> /Rikard

Doesn't his ISP send him a bill? Maybe it's listed on his
credit card bill. Then call them up and explain. If he has a
connection from his local library, as is possible where I live,
then he should go there and ask them. If he's using the phoneco,
it should show up on the phone bill. This seems like child's play.

I may be missing something, and if so, I apologize.

--dm