RE: [SLE] Real Numbers representation in Tcl language
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:43:39 -0500
On Tuesday, April 11, 2006 @ 8:04 PM, Maura E. Monville wrote:

>Is it possible that on a 32-bit machine the maximum value for a Real
>number in Tcl language is 10^10 ?

>Instinctively I'd saythe number of bits assigned to the representation of
>a Real number is independent on the machine h/w architecture ... but I'm
>not familiar with Tcl and may be mistaken ...

>Thank you,
>MEM
Well, I'm just waging here, but in order to store an ordinate of 10, the
computer would only need to have 4 bits assigned to store said ordinate. 10
would be 1010. I don't know anything about TCL language, but, if you can't
store a number of that size, it's not a hardware issue, certainly not on a
32 bit machine. But it's pretty safe to say that the maximum ordinate is
indeed dependent on machine architecture. I mean, if you have 64 bits
available instead of 32, you can store both more precision and more order of
magnitude than on a 32 bit machine. Now, whether the particular language
you are coding in is aware of the fact that it has those extra bits to work
with is a totally different matter.

Greg Wallace

P. S.: Fellow list members more knowledgeable about hardware, if I'm off
base here, then you have permission to shoot me.

< Previous Next >