Re: [SLE] How does one pronounce "SUSE"
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:45:26 +0200
James Knott wrote:

> Actually, there are many areas of Europe and elsewhere, where national
> borders include populations that are from neighbouring contries.

That is certainly true, yes. The European national borders have been
shifted back and forth for centuries. Which is why my great
grandfather fought in WWI on the German side, although Denmark was
neutral ...

> IIRC, there's even a piece of Italy on the Swiss side of a border
> lake.

Tessin - well, the locals might see this differently, but in Switzerland
Tessin is not a part of Italy, but merely a Swiss kanton, that happens
to speak Italian.
AFAIK, Tessin has been part of Switzerland since around 1500.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

< Previous Next >