network boot installation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:21:17 +0200
HG wrote:

>> > I presume this can be installed with floppies and network?
>>
>> Probably even easier - USB-stick.
>
> USB doesn't work for this (or on this machine). Network boot would be
> ok, but it's too hard for me to set up with SUSE.

You mean use etherboot off a floppy, or with bootrom or builtin PXE?
Yeah, that could get a little complicated, especially if you don't like
compiling your own software. It's works fine though.

> I've tried it with knoppix though and it works just fine. Actually, I
> could see a tremendeous benefit for small business if SUSE would
> include a easy to setup network boot installation.

I run a small(ish) business myself, and for installations, booting off
the USB-stick is all we need. It's easy and requires no CDROM. Even
some (in business terms) quite ancient systems - 3-4 years old - will
boot off USB.

But you probably meant an installation option that would allow
workstations to boot off a central server? With an NFS-mounted root
filesystem?
Where your workstations would boot with PXE or perhaps off a floppy or
USB-stick. We have a 16-node cluster that works like that.

For a few ordinary workstations, I think it is overkill, especially in a
small business. The overhead in management and setup is too much, plus
you'd need to keep the right sort of IT skills around.

> Large businesses can take the time to use the current systems, but
> smaller can not.

But do you always need to be bleeding-edge in a small business? I
don't.
The advantage a small business has over a large is its flexibility -
being a nimble ship. There is no big-brother IT-dept to dictate that
all workstations must be the same colour, and run the same software.
You don't need 100page roll-out plans to go around installing/upgrading
SUSE whilst the secretary goes for a coffee.

Interesting chat.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich