Re: [SLE] Recommended Steps to swap out video cards
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:01:33 -0500
On 4/12/06, Elijah Savage <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sunny,
>
> Runlevel 5 and everything starts now but seem my logs below, also this
> was an upgrade to the 6600 from a ati9250. I am thinking about going
> back to the ATI because it seemed render quicker. Though this card seems
> to be clearer with my monitor and the fonts are crystal clear. Also
> within sax2 I do not see a way to change the card to the correct model,
> it just shows options from with sax2.
>
> linux:~ # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep GPU
> (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all NVIDIA GPUs
> (--) Chipset NVIDIA GPU found
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: Unknown
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU

I would vote against ATI with both hands (I would add the legs as
well). Their support is awful (if any at all), and their linux drivers
are worse than nvidia's. As an example, with ATI driver, you can not
start a second X sever, i.e. you lose the possibility to switch users.
It plain kills the machine and needs hard reboot. And this bug is
recognized in their readme, and is pending there for more than 2 years
(if I recall correctly). After I switched, I can not see any
performance loss in 3D and 2D graphics. (I switched from Ati X800 to
GeForse 5200). And I play Doom3 and Wolfenstein :)

Your card works slower, because the driver does not recognize it for
some reason, and use it as VESA framebuffer, without all optimizations
and accelerations.

Try using nvidia's support knowledge base, as well as their forums to
solve the problem. Just reading their linux forum, it looks like they
do care about their customers, and try to solve their problems.

To anybody reading this post: I do not want to start ATI/Nvidia flame
war, so please, feel free not to do this either :)

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)