Re: [SLE] Suse 10.0 - how to stop kernel logging for usb-storage??
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:52:25 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2006-04-12 at 22:46 +0800, Otto Rodusek (AP-SGP) wrote:

Note: you may have hijacked the thread "OpenSuse 10.0 and external usb
hdd".

> I got a problem with suse 10.0 logging mechanism. It works properly in most
> instances except when I connect an external usb-2 device (ie. a hard disk).
> The external usb works fine BUT /var/log/messages becomes VERY huge VERY fast
> with tons of data from kernel - see below. Does anyone have any idea how to
> reduce the amount of output from the kernel for usb-storage. Thanks for any
> help and/or advice. Rgds.

Maybe it is set to "debug" mode somewhere. I don't know about that, but I
know you could log all kernel messages to another file and rotate it
faster - or even dump it without loging. That would be done in the syslog
or syslog-ng config. With the later, you can instead filter out all
usb-storage messages.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson