Re: [SLE] OT: Posting from another unsubscribed address for a subscriber?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:31:11 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2006-04-12 at 12:45 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> Patrick got me thinking though...Perhaps I could insert the GMail SMTP server
> entry in my local client, correctly identified by Carlos as Mozilla 1.7.2, as
> opposed to my ISP SMTP server? Could I use the GMail SMTP server without
> logging onto GMail?

Yes, of course.

You set up the account in Mozilla-mail; you then choose the smtp server in
the advanced section of the account "server setting" setup, from one of
the many separate "outgoing servers (smtp)" (in the "Advanced" button) you
had previously setup in Mozilla-mail. Gmail simply requires you to
authentificate; ie, select "User name and pass" and "TLS".

> I have just checked with my ISP though and they say that my SMTP server entry
> must be their one, not that I believe them though.

Possibly.

> So the mail client setup here could be:
> - 3 Inboxes, each with their own email address
> - The SMTP entry of GMail

As many smtp servers as you want, posibly a different one for each
account.

> - A dialup connection using one of the email addresses to authenticate
> myself to the ISP.
>
> When I send email from any one of the three email addresses I have, it will
> all be delivered regardless of the sending email address?

Pardon?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson