Re: [SLE] Adding Disk Space
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:28:21 -0400
On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 15:03 -0600, Donald D Henson wrote:
> (SuSE Linux 10.0)
>
> I need to add some disk space to my /public folder. I am currently
> running a single partition on a single 125 GB disk drive. My intentions
> are to mount the new drive to a temporary folder, /pubnew for example,
> copy everything from /public to /pubnew, delete the files in /public,
> and then rename /pubnew to /public. On the surface, this sounds okay but
> it is so simple that it makes me think I have missed something. Can
> anybody see a way that this procedure can get me into serious trouble?
> I'd appreciate any comments.

The last time I did something along those lines, I changed the name if
the original directory and then mounted the new disk where the old
directory was. I then copied (I'm thinking rsync next time I try this,
it depends on if the ownership and permissions come with it,) the old
files to the new partition/directory, and then fixed the ownership and
permissions.