Re: [SLE] How to install SuSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:53:47 +0200

I really would report that to SUSE - http://bugzilla.novell.com.

> Since a Mandrake CD can install on that system, I am sure it must be a
> boot parameter. I posted Mandrakes lilo, just if we can figure out what
> is the difference.

There are probably more differences between Mandrake and SUSE than just
the LILO configuration.

> what info could I give you more? AMD processor, DVD/CD writer combo, 2x
> 512MB RAM, ... shuttle.com is the vendor, very helpful by saying we do
> not support Linux.

Yes, some of the motherboard vendors are a little stupid or stubborn or
both, I agree. However, in this case, as you are installing by booting
from CD1, the only way to change the boot parameters is using the boot
options on the initial menu. There is no lile.conf file you can change.

The very first thing I would suggest you try is the option "without ACPI
or acpi=off" (I can't remember the exact text of the option).
Or just do a normal install, but specify acpi=off in the boot options field.

>> Otherwise I would really recommend you take a look at
>> "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" by ESR:

> ???? But thanks for your time.

My point was the you asked a quite complicated question without
explaining your situation at all. No-one could tell if you had a
running system or if you were installing or whatever.

Also, please post to the list too. I don't mind an off-line
conversation, but other people might potentially benefit from us keeping
the conversation on-list.

/Per