Re: [SLE] For those who follow such things [ot]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:44:28 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-04-15 at 20:17 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

> Vince Littler wrote:
>
> > In the past 36 hours, I have been hit by several dozen 'Undeliverable
> > mail Returned to sender' messages, in response to spam sent out
> > notionally in the name of my domain. Thank you for your contribution,
> > Patrick Shanahan, to placing my email address in plain view on the
> > internet.

I have got some of those bounces, too. It means people that bounce after
accepting the email, which is a no-no.

> By participating in forums/lists such as this you have already done so
> yourself. Patricks contribution (whatever it might be) is negligible.

Well, the fact that some people answer emails here including the full real
address of the person they are responding to complicates things. It's
being more than a year since the SuSE archive stopped including that info,
which is nice (thanks to Chris, I think). But that is only true for this
one list, not the rest of SuSE lists.

> Several dozen in 36hours isn't too bad. I have a customer that is
> regularly hit by waves of 100.000/day.

Bounces? Or simply spams?

Because I know how to filter spam, but bounces caused by spam, no, not
yet.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson