Re: [SLE] Dell Inspiron Keyboard
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:48:50 -0400
Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 16/04/06, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> James David Jacobs wrote:
>>> I have a Dell Inspiron 2100 Laptop. A number of keys do not work,
>>> either in a terminal or in KDE. For example, neither Alt key nor the
>>> right arrow work. None of these keys generate scan codes in Showkey.
>>>
>>> Any idea how to get these keys to work?
>> It sounds like you may have a hardware failure. Can you plug in a
>> regular keyboard, to see if those keys work?
>>

> Or, try the keyboard on another PC? Just in case it is the keyboard
> that is at fault. It may just need cleaning which is 'usually' an
> easy enough job with some cotton buds and some ethyl alcohol.

Since the keyboard is part of a laptop, it's a bit hard to move it to
another computer. ;-)

Also, given that more than one key is bad, it's unlikely caused by dirt,
unless something was spilled on it. Keyboards are built on a matrix,
with each key at an intersection of a row and column. Often one row or
column will fail, causing all the keys along it to stop working. When
that happens, the repair generally involves replacing the keyboard.