help/advice with setting up low power server
  • From: "Cody Nelson" <codynelson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:34:30 -0600
I could use help in picking out hardware for a personal low power
server I want to set up. The server will be a printer, http, file,
ftp, and X11(maybe) servers. currently using a celeron 433(dell
optiplex GX100) but I want something lower power, maybe a little more
power (for the X11), and to put in a rackmount case that I recently
acquired. the dell mobo is made for the case it is in.

I am looking at the Via eden, c3, etc CPU;'s because of the low power
and cost. However, that also has a lot more power, and I have having
trouble finding any via cpu's/mobos out there, let a lone the slower
ones, say 600-1ghz range.

http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/1100206167926082/9/nc/Motherboard%20-%20AMD%20CPU--Matsonic/2558/Matsonic%20VIA%20CLE266%20%2B%20Built%20in%20VIA%20C3%202000%2B%20CPU%20Combo

I also want to use my existing sdram (100-133mhz) so low cost is
important. (doing this move to save money remember?)

Oh, and a minimum of 2 PCI slots are needed if onboard lan/video. This
will have several harddrives, from IDE, SATA, and SCSI.

any ideas on low power CPU's that are not the latest and greates, and
cheap? I would get a used laptop of ebay, but the need for 6
harddrives kinda throws that away.

So any advice and help would be much appriciated.

< Previous Next >