Re: [SLE] Can a native 64-bit CPU run 32-bit code ?
  • From: Maura Edeweiss Monville <memonvil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:00:24 -0500 (CDT)
Shall I deduce that:

1. It is possible to generate 32-bit code on a 64-bit machine

2. Not all 32-bit code, no matter where it was generated, will run on a
64-bit machine

I do not give up. From your answers I infer that running the CERNLIB
installation procedure in a shell where linux32 has been invoked, like:
# linux32 bash
# ./start_cern

will NOT automatically produce 32-bit code. Am I right ?
The workaround consists in splitting the provided installation procedure
and manually change the compiler options.

Still, this is not the whole story .. sigh ..
In fact the next step in the CERNLIB creation consist of generating the
math functions tha rely on "blas" and "lapack".
Here I'm quoting the CERNLIB installation guidelines at
http://cernlib.web.cern.ch/cernlib/install/lapack3.html:

"... If successful, the libraries will be in $CERN_ROOT/lib. Failure is
usually indicated in the end of the log files in $CERN_ROOT/build/log.
Pawlib and some parts of mathlib depend on Lapack3, which can now be built
as described here... "

Where "here" is a link to
http://cernlib.web.cern.ch/cernlib/install/lapack3.html
This latter site contains instructions for downloading and installing the
linear algebra LAPACK.

Here is my point: I ALREADY have on my system both the native "blas" and
"lapack" installed from SuSE DVD. But they are for x86_64 architecture.
For the sake of consistency I need the equivalent two packages for 32-bit
machines.
No matter if I install the ones provided by CERN or from the rpm files
that can be downloaded from
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/PLD/dists/ac/ready/i686/blas-3.0-30.i686.html
I am VERY CONCERNED that the new blas and lapack will overwrite the
existing one therefore messing up my system .... HELP ... PLEASE !
Is there a way tomake both 64- and 32-versions of blas and lapack coexist
in the same system and then liknk the appropriate version ?

Thank you so much,
Maura